Why am I so passionate about working with gay men, much as Matthew Fox states in “The Hidden Spirituality of Men”.
- Because Western culture is a dualistic patriarchy that values thinking over feeling, material wealth over spiritual, scientific fact over intuitive knowledge, men over women, and heterosexuals over homosexuals.
- Because men are rarely rewarded, and often mocked, for openly expressing their deepest feeling of joy, sensitivity, and pain.
- Because many men carry wounds inside they would rather forget or put aside than admit are there.
- Because men, who are “not supposed to cry”, learn to hide their grief as well as their joy.
- Because men sometimes work so hard that they do not have time or space for exploring their hearts.
- Because, in an attempt to respect the women’s movement, some men feel compelled to silence themselves and hide any “unacceptable” maleness.
- Because homophobia robs men of their capacity to relate deeply to other men. Even men who overcome homophobia must often keep this secret in an excessively heterosexist culture.
- Because men sometimes confuse religion and spirituality and in the process run from their own journey with Spirit.
If you’d like to talk to me more about counseling for gay men, contact me.